Events at the International Festival for Peoples' Rights and Struggles
AGHAM- Advocates of Science and Technology for the People, Center for Environmental Concerns-Philippines, Computer Professionals’ Union, Kalikasan People’s Network for the Environment together with International League of People's Struggles Commission 13, People’s Action on Climate Change (PACC) and CLIMATE Asia Pacific invite you to the following events
July 3 AGITPROP International Film Festival on Peoples' Struggles
College of Mass Communication, University of the Philippines Diliman
Special Program on Environmental Activism
- 5:00 PM Bikpela Bagarap | Directed by David Fedele | Documentary | 2011 | Australia / Papua New Guinea
- 5:50 PM Carteret Islands | Directed by Tara Jones | Documentary | 2011 | Australia / Papua New Guinea
- 6:10 PM A River Runs Through Us | Directed by Carla Pataky | Docuementary | 2011 | International
- 6:35 PM Bunker 0 : Sumirib Plus| Directed by Jan Philippe V. Carpio | Documentary | 2006 | Philippines
- 6:45 PM Gaharu: Selamatkan Manusia dan Hutan Papua / Save the People and Forests of Papua | Directed by Andre Rimbayana | Secretariat for Justice and Peace (SKP) Merauke, Papua | Docu | 2010| Indonesia
- 7:00 PM Sarawak Gone Series | Directed by Andrew Garton | Documentary | Australia / Malaysia
- 8:10 PM Feature film on Environmental Activism: Mirage of El Dorado | Directed by Martin Frigon | Productions Multi-Monde| Documentary | 2008 | Canada / Chile
July 5 IFPRS Common Opening, 7:30 AM- 12NN, UP Film Institute
July 5 Forum on Climate Change
1:00 PM -7:00 PM, Balay Kalinaw
The forum aims to raise awareness on the science and politics of climate change, as well as on the critique on the various responses to climate change. Experiences on climate change impacts from the perspective of peoples from selected countries in Asia and the Pacific, especially from the most vulnerable communities, will be shared and discussed.
July 5 Night of Rage: IFPRS Solidarity Night 2011
8:00 PM -11: 00 PM, UP Balay ng Alumni
July 5-6 Understanding and Addressing Climate Change: An Exhibit of Education and Climate Change Responses of Grassroots Movements and Communities,
8:30 AM- 6:00 PM, UP Bahay ng Alumni
The exhibit is a regional venue that showcases communities’ initiatives on the exchange and expression of local climate change issues and coping mechanisms. It highlights calls and actions towards asserting rights to sustainable access of natural resources, and the advancement of people’s welfare over the global environmental and economic crises.
July 6 Information Security & New Media Practices for Activists
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM, UP Balay Kalinaw
The skills sharing seminar features experiences of activists in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, and other Middle Eastern countries in their creative use of technology to support popular uprisings.There will be discussions on how computers, networks, internet and social networks significantly contributed to the current struggles of the people around the world for rights and freedom.
These events are part of International Festival for Peoples' Rights and Struggles (IFPRS) which will run from July 2- 6, 2011 at the University of the Philippines Diliman.
For inquiries, please contact: +632 920 9099 (telefax) or visit http://www.cp-union.com/ilps13/